Saturday 6 April 2013

What even?

Today I received a rejection email from a magazine I submitted to last year. I'm disappointed because I put a lot of effort into my story but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

The good thing about this magazine is that they give feedback to all the work they receive, so despite the rejection, I was quite pumped to know how I could improve my writing. I read through their comments and thought, "Hmm, yeah, okay. Not really my style but I see where you're going with this. I'll think about it."

Then one word caught me out.Voyeurism. The sub-editor who looked at my work said it had a sense of voyeurism. I didn't know what it meant, only that it sounded like voyage so maybe it had something to do with a journey, which would make sense because my story takes place in a train. Just to be sure though, I looked it up in the dictionary and saw this:

Voyeur n person who obtains pleasure from watching people undressing or having s*x.
Voyeurism n

And the first thing I thought was, "What the freak?"

I don't even know how that works. My mind was completely broken and I couldn't function straight for about half an hour. When I think back to it, I still don't, although I laugh at the reaction I had.

To end this post on a happy note, here's something that made me laugh:


No comments:

Post a Comment