Sunday 30 December 2012

Guest post: how to edit your first draft

As Wren, Fall is the first novel I've ever finished in terms of first drafts, I didn't know what to do when it came to revising and editing. I looked at my 68,000 words and had no idea where to start because the magnitude of it was daunting.

To research (not procrastinate, no, of course not), I went online and pored over as many articles as I could stand reading. There were hundreds of articles and columns about editing. Some of them helped, some of them didn't and some were plain weird and only good for a fit of giggles.

After several dozen hours, I pushed my laptop aside, rubbed my gritty eyes because they feel hollow after staring too long at screens and took a drink of water. A good stretch is important every now and then, so after my mind cleared up, I planted my butt on my chair and and put theory to practice. I'm certain I've found my ideal way of editing.

I wish I looked this cute when I edited.
This article here is what I wrote as a guest blogger at Laura Thomas Communications about how I edit. Check it out! Of course, it's not everyone's way or editing and that's okay. For those who aren't sure about the best way to edit, experiment a little and you'll eventually find what works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment