Monday 24 December 2012

Life after Nanowrimo

It's been almost a month since NaNoWriMo ended and I've been revising my manuscript with fury because there are only a few more months until I have to go back to university-- time is limited and very, very precious.

Time seems to run away especially since revising takes a lot more work than banging out a first draft. After a stretch of three weeks, I've only gone over 20,000 words. I have to retype everything because I decided halfway to change the point of view and tense. This doesn't bode well for my self-imposed deadline.

Right now, I'm fixing major problems such as plot holes and dangling threads. There are a lot more of those than I originally thought. However, things are coming together and when I think of the potential the end product will have, I get the urge to rub my hands together and give a maniacal laugh because I know it'll be read-worthy.

Once the big picture is done, I'll work on the smaller points such as characterisation and then I'll focus on getting the words right.

November was an exciting journey and I'm glad this journey's going all the way. I don't believe I mentioned one of the prizes you get as a NaNoWriMo winner-- the self-publishing company CreateSpace will print five copies of your novel for free excluding shipping. How good is that!

Hence, my frantic attempts at revision-- the offer has an expiry date but I'm determined to finish my novel long before then. I will get Wren, Fall in book format even if it kills me!

No comments:

Post a Comment