Wednesday 13 March 2013

Anonymity on the internet

One of the many things I cannot stand is bullying and more specifically, cyberbullying.

Today someone expressed her opinion on her blog. It was her opinion about her experience and it was looking on the upside of a medical condition that most people tended to look down upon. Soon after that, a person commented. No, not even that. It didn't resemble a comment because every second word was 'bullsh*t'. The comment expressed no opinion. It was, quite literally, all 'bullsh*t'.

Oddly enough, the commenter didn't have the guts to post under his or her name. Just 'Anonymous'. A cruel and profane message delivered without a name, without a picture or even initials.

And that pissed me off, big time.

Would the commenter have said the same cruel and profane words if the anonymous function had been disabled? No, of course not because that's not what cowards do. They can't make a comment and stand by it because they know they'd be attacked if they left their real name. They know they deserve it so they hide behind their computers like the pathetic wimps they are, with their fake bravado and big words.

I should hate cyberbullies. And maybe I do, just a little bit. A part of me pities their miserable existence. But mostly, I laugh at them because they think they're powerful and dominating when the truth is, they are nothing without their computers.

I stand up for my opinions without shame and I don't diss others for theirs. What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment