Thursday 7 March 2013

Growing up or growing old?

Today's prompt from The Daily Post is:

When was the first time you really felt like a grown up (if ever)?

There's been no specific time when I thought, "Wow, I'm all grown up now!"

It doesn't matter that I'm over eighteen, that I'm actually in my twenties and study at university or that I can drive (sort of) because I have the mentality of a ten year old and that's reflected in my childish personality.

However, there have been moments in my life, particularly in the past three or four years, when reality snuck up behind me and whispered, "Wow, you're old."

That usually happens when I'm talking to people younger than me and I start my sentences with one of these three beginnings:

  1. When I was younger...
  2. When I was your age...
  3. I remember when...

I don't think I've lived a long life by far, but throughout my childhood, technology has made leaps and bounds so far I'm still scrambling to catch up. All the little things I told myself I'd have as a child are now obsolete. Like VHS, walkmans and the old Nintendos. It's like having my dreams taken away from me.

It doesn't help that children have asked me if I'm married or pregnant (!), call me Miss and Lady and see me as a teacher figure because I am their tutor. It's even worse when new tutors, fresh out of high school, come in and they say, "You must have a lot of experience since you've worked here for so long!"

It's even worse when my friends say, "Silvia is like the grandma of this place!"


Growing up is fine. But growing old is not and I don't think I will ever truly feel like a grown up. Maybe not until I'm married or have my own kids or something I associate completely with adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment