Thursday 28 March 2013

Dun-dun-duuuun!

Today's prompt from the The Daily Post is:

If you were to judge your favourite book by its cover, would you still read it?

There are so many books I've read and loved, I don't know if I can choose one. I've got about thirty books in front of me right now and I'm scanning them to see which one I should talk about for this post and my indecisiveness is getting to the point where my eye is about to start twitching.

I'm settling on Matthew's Reilly's Ice Station.


Matthew Reilly is the god of action thrillers and his works are filled with guns, explosions, blood, swearing and a lot of humour stemming mainly from a character called Mother, who is the least motherly character I can think of. His sentences are short, sharp and everything swooshes by at a pace so fast I was flipping through the pages like a crazed bibliophile who couldn't get enough of words.

Once, I stayed up till three in the morning to finish one of Matthew Reilly's books. It was a great idea at the time but a couple of hours later in school, I really regretted it.

I digress.

Although this cover doesn't tell the reader much about the epic and violent content inside, there is a dark feel to it because of the rolling clouds above the silhouette of a darkened ice station. It's almost a prelude to the horror that the Marines find themselves in, a quiet photo to lull the reader into a false sense of security before throwing them neck-high into action.

I'd pick this up based on the cover alone. I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to covers and if it's clean and simple then I'm more likely to pick it up. That's not to say I won't pick up a book that's got characters and words crammed onto the cover, no, of course not. But it will deter me quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment