Wednesday 27 February 2013

So much for my happy ending

Today's prompt from The Daily Post is:

“And they lived happily ever after.” Think about this line for a few minutes. Are you living happily ever after? If not, what will it take for you to get there?

This was the first thing that came into my mind after I read the prompt. Yes, it's an old video and I honestly have not heard the song in years but for some reason the lyrics resurfaced and my brain started singing the song with burning passion. Even in my head, I am off-key.


Now, about my happy ending: I don't believe I have achieved it yet.

I don't know what I want to do career-wise. I study the zoological aspects of science and as much as I hate to admit it, I can't see myself working in this field twenty years from now.

Instead, I see myself typing away on my laptop with a mug of hot chocolate steaming next to my hands. I'm a novelist and I create worlds and people and stories for a living. That's what I want to do more than anything.

But I know, and everyone has mentioned it far too many times for me to count, that writers don't earn a lot. In fact, unless my books become a bestseller like Harry Potter, I won't be able to support myself much less a family and my dream pets.

In that case, I decided I would do both as a career-- a journalist who reports on new findings or something to that effect. If I can't, then I could always work in the labs or fields during the day and become a writer by night.

When I really think about it, I realise I'm not really fussed about myself in terms of careers. There are thousands of possibilities out there and as long as I can live without too many hardships, I'll be happy.

What I am burning to do is to finish and publish my manuscript. It's been tough work so far but I'm running as fast as I can because the end is in sight. I can see my dream slowly taking form each day I work on Wren, Fall and until I hold it in book format, I won't feel like I have achieved anything worthwhile.

So my happy ending is some time away but rest assured I am working my best towards that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment