Tuesday 5 February 2013

Braving the blank page

After re-evaluating my story and cutting most of it, I tried starting it over again but I couldn't face a blank page on Microsoft Word after making such a heartbreaking decision.

To fill in the time, I wrote character synopses which helped me figure out motives and direction and consequently, to figure out which scenes were important and which scenes could be scrapped. This means I won't write another 57,000 words and find something wrong with it. I won't be wasting time.

I thought I had it done, so I could brave the blank page again but when I did, my brain went dead and my fingers tapped random words on the keyboard. I felt like this, only not as happy:

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2012/06/20/daily-picdump-495/brain-fart-dolphin/


As I clearly wasn't ready to start my story again, I started writing a scene list and ordering everything so I won't have to format or snip and tie threads later. I find it therapeutic to build my story, world and characters from scratch instead of plunging straight in-- I've had too many disasters and I'm going to work through this so I won't be disappointed again.

I'm pumped! I'm going to get this done. I won't finish by the deadline I previously imposed but I can still see myself sending out query letters before my birthday, so still that's my main goal. No more brain fart. I'm going off to finish my scene list!

No comments:

Post a Comment