Tuesday 19 February 2013

As far from normal as you can get

Today's prompt from The Daily Post is:

Many of us think of our lives as boringly normal, while others live the high life. Take a step back, and take a look at your life as an outsider might. Now, tell us at least six unique, exciting, or just plain odd things about yourself.

Unique? Exciting? Plain odd? Yup, here's your list!

Thing the first:

"That's enough ice-cream for a week." -Father



I like ice-cream therefore I eat lots of ice-cream. It's basic maths. However as good as this maths is, my family doesn't agree. Little Sister once remarked I eat more ice-cream than I do rice, which is a big deal considering I'm Chinese and love my rice. Father also constantly tells Mother not to buy ice-cream because I apparently eat too much.

Thing the second:

"Why are you laughing? Are you mad?" -Father, Mother and Little Sister


If only I laugh as prettily as she does.

I spend some of my free time watching anime or reading manga. On occasion, I stumble upon funny dialogue or facial expressions which make me laugh. Not a normal 'Haha, that was funny!' laugh, but a high-pitched, cackling shriek which turns into a giggle which then fades into silence. But I am still laughing, so I'm basically a shaking mess of bones, muscles and skin. I also clap my hands like a retarded seal.

Thing the third:

"You're such a stick." -Everyone

I was a skinny kid and everyone told me I needed to gain weight, although I never understood it. But a few years back, I was out with friends and saw myself in a mirror. I was horrified by how skeletal I looked and vowed to gain weight. Now I'm heavier but still need to eat more, as evidenced when I offered to help a friend move a couch and she started screaming, "NO, NO, NO, SILVIA, NO! GET AWAY, YOU'LL SNAP IN TWO!"

Thing the fourth:

"You've got daddy-long legs." -Longtime childhood friend

My hips are relatively high on my body so by default I am a bit leggy. I've received a few comments about this but my longtime childhood friend's comment is the one that stuck because it made me laugh. Sometimes I think back to our silliness and end up laughing all over again, to the point of respiratory failure and tears.

Thing the fifth:

"You have too many stuffed toys." -Mother



I love animals and since my parents won't buy me another pet (I have a beautiful Belgian Shepherd/German Shepherd cross) I resorted to collecting stuffed ones. They've come from all the places I've ever visited and people buy me stuffed toys for birthdays and other celebrations. Each toy has a gender and a name and they share my bed, my nightstand, my shelf and my wall. Yes, my wall. Father strung string across my wall and hung toys up with pegs.

Thing the sixth:

"You're such a man." -Everyone

I don't wear skirts or dresses because the wind could decide to blow up at any time and show every passing pedestrian and car my choice of undies for the day. Wearing shorts is not a possibility when the skirt/dress material is so flimsy you can see the colour of your shorts through it. So jeans all the way for me!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I love your list!

    I feel the same way about ice cream. What's your favorite flavor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! It's hard to pick but I'd have to go with choc-chip mint or classic vanilla. What are your favourite flavours?

      Delete
    2. Probably cookies-and-cream and chocolate chip.

      Delete