Saturday 23 February 2013

Food. Need I say more?

Today's prompt from The Daily Post is:

Describe the most satisfying meal you've ever eaten, in glorious detail.

Have you ever been so hungry that your stomach cells ooze hydrochloric acid and practically digests itself to make you feel like there's a bottomless abyss in the pit of your torso while your guts growl like the big, bad wolf and demand that you shove some food into your mouth and fill up your stomach?

I've had that feeling a few times.

Now that I think about it, every time I felt like dropping dead in hunger were when I holidayed in little 'tourist' spots and crawled all around the little towns to find little shops that were open. In my experience, places with low population densities have shops that open their doors just before noon and close them in the afternoon.

Dinner wasn't much of an option.

But after trawling around, I chanced upon a tiny fish 'n chip shop which I never would have noticed if it weren't for the lights shining out of the windows-- they were a beacon of hope in the dark, dark night. I managed to scrape myself off the sidewalk where I'd collapsed from hunger and stagger through the doors, which welcomed me with a gust of warm air from the heaters. Almost crying with relief, I croaked at the cashier for a burger.

I don't usually eat burgers because they're too simple. They're something I could toss together at home, fail-cook me. But at that moment, I was desperate for something huge and filling that I could devour without being delicate and a giant burger stuffed with everything was the first thing that surfaced in my energy-deprived brain.



It was the best burger I had ever eaten. The buns were soft and when I poked it, they sprang back to their original form like puffy marshmallows and I swear the meat was still sizzling in juices and fat when it was served. The mayonnaise was sweet on my tongue and it complemented the lettuce and tomatoes well, which was a big deal because I don't eat tomatoes if I can help it.

As Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory put it: "This has a much more satisfying meat to bun to condiment ratio."

Everything about that burger was perfect. The buns, the meat, the sauce, the condiments. It all worked and it satisfied my starving body well.

Long live the burger!

No comments:

Post a Comment