Tuesday 19 February 2013

Guest post: setting

I've been gathering usable bits and pieces of Wren, Fall and while I did so, I noticed that I focused a lot on aspects such as plot and characterisation and neglected any mention of setting. For example, I'd go on and on about the terrible things that were happening and who was affected by such events but rarely told the readers where the scene took place, much less what the surroundings looked like.

Aghast that I'd left out such a crucial element, I grabbed my trusty pen and prepared to describe the heck out of my imaginary world, city, buildings and rooms. But I couldn't do it. I didn't know how to do it properly-- that is, to incorporate setting into my story without making it sound like I'd just shoved it in there for the sake of having a setting.


When I am unsure of something, I conduct research so that's what I did. I sat in front of my laptop for hours and read scores of blogs and articles and other media where I could grab some advice. The thing about writing is, is that it's subjective. Nothing is every truly right nor is it ever truly wrong. The sites couldn't tell me what to do but they could tell me what not to do.

I let the advice sink in. I hmm-ed and mm-ed and finally, I ah-ha-ed!

Lightbulb moment!
You can read about my epiphany right here as a guest post written by yours truly at the Laura Thomas Communication blog, where I outline the basics of combining characterisation and setting.

As always, this writing style might not be for everybody and that's okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment